Saturday, April 25, 2009

Turkish Weddings = BIG & *Bling*



Umut & I will get married in Texas in January. Since his family won't make it to the US for the wedding, in late September we will have a Turkish "wedding". I get to be a bride twice! (and just to clarify, to the same man.)

On Thursday we went to Madam Burcu, best described as the "David's Bridal of Turkey". Momma Ceylan has her heart set on this store because they will lend you their infamous white stretch limousine for your Big Day.

My experience in finding a dress at Madam Burcu's could not have been more unexpected. There are 2 rules for Turkish Weddings... BIG & *Bling*!

After choosing my Top 5 dresses, I went into the dressing room to try on the 1st gown. It took 10 minutes to get the dress on before the store employee led me to an area which looked like the backstage of a rock concert. She lowered the lights and led me around a corner to a 15'x 15' dance floor. Picture this: a foreigner tip-toeing onto a dance floor decked out in a glittering marshmallow. This dance floor was complete with a revolving disco ball, red strobe lights, a smoke machine, and the deep beat of rap music. For a moment I thought I was the latest member of The Pussycat Dolls.

And then to my horror I looked up to see through the dark room a row of gawking viewers sitting on couches in front of me. My eyes slowly focused enough for me to recognize these viewers were not just the Ceylans, but about 10 other people who were curious to see what the American looked like in the Turkish cream puff, err...wedding dress.

I felt an equal mixture of humor and mortification, but eventually a dress was chosen. And Momma Ceylan is happy because on September 25, we will be rolling in a white limo.

I am going to keep the Turkish wedding dress a surprise for my Blog Viewers until September, but let's just say once you see the dress, you have my permission to stare. :)

PS: As I write this, Umut's parents are under the influence of Turkish liquor and discussing if they should rent a horse for me to arrive on at the pre-wedding party, also known as Henna Night. Anyone have some spurs I can borrow?

5 comments:

  1. i'm counting down the days until September when you post pics of this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    I LOVED getting to chat with you on Skype (sp.) while I was at your folks' house this week-end! It was so good to see your sweet face!

    And, (don't tell anyone!) I saw the gown! I must say, I was prepared for something else entirely! I loved it on you! I know it was definitely not something YOU would have chosen, but the fact that you let them pick it out for you is SO sweet!

    Love you!
    Ms. Melita

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see the pictures!!! will you parents get to come?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I can NOT wait to see the pics! :) You are loved! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete