It's been 3 weeks and I have really only craved 1 food: Hamburgers. In many dishes, meat is more of the garnish than the main ingredient. With all the delicious food here in Turkey, all I want is a big, juicy slab of beef. I asked the Ceylans if I could make them an American dinner and they were all glad to leave the kitchen open for me.
I was lucky to find fresh ground beef, American cheese and even hamburger buns at the big grocery store in Izmir. So after an hour of stinking up their kitchen (my "foreign" food smells really strange to them), I served the Ceylans and Serkan (Umut's best friend) garlic cheeseburgers, baked fries and fried pickles. There was nothing nutrional about this meal and it's no wonder America is the most obese country in the world.
The Turks at the table could barely fit their mouths around the huge burgers (I had no problem!) but eventually found their way through the meal. On the other hand, the fried pickles were the biggest success of the evening. I was asked to make them again when we go the the "village" to visit extended family.
All in all, the meal was a success. And somehow I convinced Umut and Serkan that according to "American tradition" the youngest people at the table are supposed to clean the kitchen. Shhhh....let's keep that lie going for a while!
Hilarious-- you're gonna be known to the extended family as the girl who fries pickles. Just make sure you include the bucket of ranch for dipping! :)
ReplyDeleteAs soon as Michelle posted these photos, my friend Serkan started to cry and said: "If someday I go to USA, everyone will meet me in the kitchen next to the dishes and will say "Welcome Serkan, we were waiting for me"" And yeah! we will have amazing traditions for Michelle soon :)
ReplyDelete