Saturday, March 21, 2009

My 1st week, cont'd
























On Thursday I went to a cafe with Umut & his best friend, Sarkan, to watch their favorite Turkish soccer team play Germany in a EuroCup match. The cafe was full of mainly men, smoking, playing board games, drinking chai (black tea) and yelling at the TV. It was awesome! I bought one of those brightly colored scarfs you see European soccer fans where. When Umut's team scores, fans in the stadium light sticks full of fire & smoke to communicate there home field is "hell" to the opposing team. These Turks are passionate about their "football"!


Yesterday was my 3rd full day in Izmir and Umut was going to be gone half of the day. I am not quite confidant yet to get around town on my own, after all, it is a city of 3 million people! So Umut took me to his former high school, where his dad is the head vice principle. Umut & I ate in the cafeteria, which I found to be hilarious! Turkish school cafeterias are SO different. As we entered, it sounded more like a rave club than a public school. They were blaring Justin Timberlake & Madonna music so loud I could barely hear Umut. Students were all wearing uniforms & looked at us like we were the most unimpressive people they had ever seen. The food was actually good...and the lunch lady gave us extra large portions because she knows Umut. :)


Then I was a guest speaker in the English class & believe it or not, I had a blast! The students were really interested in "American university" life, my family and how I met Principle Ceylan's son. I hope I can go back and this has increased my desire to explore the possibility of getting accredited to teach ESL. Probably the best part was when I showed them pictures from home and got the chance to explain a picture of a friend's baptism. After class 3 girls ran up to me, whipped out their cell phones and asked for my email address. My 1st Turkish (albeit they are 16) friends!

2 comments:

  1. so excited for you michelle... can't wait to hear more fun stories and see more pics!!! miss you friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle! I TOTALLY think you should become an ESL teacher! (just don't be an essay-writing teacher; you'll be up for hours!) LOVE seeing your face and Umut's HUGE smile! It's refreshing...and gets me so pumped to go myself. Is that falafel I see on your plate? Your stories are great! Looking forward to more. PS...how's the laundry going? ;-)

    ReplyDelete