Friday, May 29, 2009

A Circumcision Pre-Party




There are 3 inductions into manhood for Turkish boys. 1) Circumcision, 2) Military service, and 3) Get married & thereby lose your virginity. So tomorrow night one of my neighbor's son is having his 1st introduction into manhood...and he is 8 years old.

However, tonight is the pre-party for the main event. I took a few photos & videos to share with you. As I write this, my head is still beating from the Turkish drum, but the headache is well-worth the experience!

Above are 2 pictures of the Ceylan family. Below are 3 videos of the party. I love the 1st video because all I could think of was "Middle School". You remember. Every Fall & Spring there was a Dance. And like typical middle schoolers, the boys were on one side of the room while the girls were on another. It usually took a few girls to get on the dance floor before everyone else followed.

The 2nd video is my future father-in-law, after a few glasses of Turkish liquor, dancing. He's actually quite good!


Finally, the last video is probably my favorite...most of the men toasting yet another glass of Rakı, Turkish liquor. After the toast, one of my favorite neighbor's stood on the table and danced. I am beginning to think that in Turkey, it's not a party until someone gets on the table and dances!







No comments:

Post a Comment