
Since Umut's parents will not be in America in January for the wedding and weddings are a BIG DEAL in Turkey, we wanted to bless his parents and extended family with some type of celebration. So September, we will have a Turkish "wedding celebration".
So...I get to wear a wedding dress twice! With eager anticipation, everyone waited 4 months for the dress to arrive and last week I was scheduled for my 1st fitting.
As the store clerk began helping me put it on, I knew immediately something was wrong. It was WAY too small. As she tightend the corset, I began to understand what the ladies of the Victorian Era felt like. Dizzyness.
Come to find out, the store had ordered the wrong size but their solution was to wear a tighter corset. No way! No corset would make a dress 2 sizes too small look good. Besides, I was convinced that after 45 minutes, I would surely faint from wearing this dress.
Luckily the next day we found a new dress which will be ready on time.
Even though the day was a little discouraging...trying to squeeze into a dress 2 sizes too small is tough on the ego...it was redeemed with the new dress, which I like even more. And I made a decision that I would rather look a little less "hour glass" and actually ENJOY wearing the dress.
FYI: Here is some info I found on the history of the Corset:
article of dress designed to support or modify the figure. Greek and Roman women sometimes wrapped broad bands about the body. In the Middle Ages a short, close-fitting, laced outer bodice or waist was worn. By the 16th cent. it had become a tight inner bodice, sometimes of leather, stiffened with whalebone, wooden splints, or steel; fashion demanded the slenderest possible waist in contrast with the enormous farthingales and stuffed breeches that were worn. Stays and tight lacing were made for both men and women from the 17th through the 19th cent., except for a brief period following the French Revolution. By 1900 the corset had become primarily a female garment, and it was gradually modified to conform to the natural lines of the body.
smoke and strobe lights sound like my kind of fun! is there dance music? if so, i would be there trying on dresses everyday!
ReplyDeleteyes...gangster rap!
ReplyDeleteSMOKE AND STROBE LIGHTS! how awesome!!! i can't wait to see the pics. I miss you friend!!!
ReplyDelete