Saturday, February 14, 2009

Freedom Found in Empty Hangers




Part of this journey to Turkey requires me to sell or give away almost all that I own. Over the last few weeks I have sold 1100 square feet of furniture (except a bed & table) & gave away 10 garbage bags of clothes and decorations.

I am sorta a sentimental gal and most of my stuff has a story, so letting go of almost all I own has been a unique experience. At times it was hard, especially specific gifts my mom had given me. But at the end of the day, I found a special kind of freedom in no longer being tied down to "stuff".

I am actually grateful for the chance to clean out my bank of possessions. It's refined my love for the gospel. The more I give away, the more my heart says, "The gospel is more precious to me now." See the picture of the empty hangers? They were once carrying clothes, excess clothes I don't need. I gave them away and in exchange for them, I found freedom. (Picture Mel Gibson shouting it and it sounds more interesting.)

Not everyone will have the same chance the rich young ruler had. But every Believer is called to obey. In this season of my life, obedience is giving up most of my possessions to chase after the Father's leading. Luke 18 has never been as precious to me...

"And a ruler asked him, 'Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?'...When Jesus heard this, he said to him, 'One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.' But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, 'How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.' Those who heard it said, 'Then who can be saved?' But he said, 'What is impossible with men is possible with God.' And Peter said, 'See, we have left our homes and followed you.' And he said to them, 'Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.'"

1 comment:

  1. The things I have are already loved more than I thought possible (especially the chair - all three were on it today with Sam on the top cushion and the Wes and Lexi cuddled on the bottom - needless to say there are blankets on it :)
    Well I already miss you terribly especially when I saw the renters moving things in last night. I'm very excited for you all at the same time.
    Oh - and by the way - your profile picture here could totally be a Music Album for a Folk group!! What an amazing picture - looks professional

    ReplyDelete